What is the Darebin Creek Management Committee?
Darebin Creek Management Committee Inc. (DCMC) was formed in 2001 by amalgamating the Darebin Creek Co-ordinating Committee and the Darebin Parklands Committee of Management. These two Committees have been operating since their inception in 1984 and 1973 respectively. The Committee share a common interest in improving the Darebin Creek and adjoining open space. DCMC consists of 11 members who are representatives of the local government areas the Darebin Creek flows through, being Banyule, Darebin, Whittlesea, Yarra as well as La Trobe University. A sub-committee is responsible for the Darebin Parklands due to its unique history as a former landfill site, which requires more specialised management.
The Committee has made many achievements in retaining open space and protecting the natural environment along the Darebin Creek Valley.
Role of the Committee
“To ensure the preservation, restoration, environmental protection and ecologically sensitive development and maintenance of the Darebin Creek Linear Park with a long term aim of securing a linear park with significant recreation and conservation values”.
Darebin Creek Management Committee has the responsibility to undertake the following tasks:
- Manage Creek Parklands to ensure environmentally sensitive maintenance and development, established regenerated indigenous vegetation, restore the landscape on public land along the Creek valley (while recognising the historic significance of designated individual exotic plants)
- Comment on Land Use Planning issues along the Darebin Creek, and Implement the Lower and Middle Darebin Creek Concept Plans
- Raise Funds from member body contributions, grants, donations, membership fees and other resources
- Encourage Community Involvement, work with existing and future community groups, and educate schools and the community about environmental issues
- Co-operate with the community, and local, state and federal Government Authorities in protecting and enhancing the Darebin Creek Linear Park
The Environment Centre is the working hub of environmental education in the Darebin Creek Catchment, where school, TAFE and university students, along with community groups and interested people can utilise the skills and facilities on offer.
Darebin Creek Management Committee is an incorporated association and is governed by a Statement of Purposes and a Constitution.
Annual_report2016 Download File